Tri the Wildwoods Adds International Distance Race
“I had no experience, no permit, no sense of safety, no supplies, no back up plan, and didn’t know what it meant ” to delegate.” A business school bust for sure. All I knew was that before someone else put on a triathlon in my hometown of North Wildwood, NJ, I was going to do it. I didn’t sleep for three days, my mother and father folded the shirts and handed out water. In the middle of the race my wife, Jamie, had to slap sense in to me and said “Get a hold of yourself!” Stephen Del Monte, Race Morning Year One
For the past 11 years, athletes of all ability levels have gathered each August for a sprint triathlon in North Wildwood, NJ: Tri the Wildwoods
The 1st Annual Tri the Wildwoods Brochure 2004
The champion of that race, Jarod Shoemaker, went on to join the United States Olympic Team in 2008. Coincidentally, the following year he brought his girlfriend and the two of them took home the title. Her name, Lifetime Fitness Tri Series National Champion Alicia Kaye..and now his wife.
The following years saw local pros, coaches and outstanding swimmers Holden Comeau, Laurie Hug and John Kenny as well as phenom runner/cyclists Todd Wiley take home Tri the Wildwoods Championships too. And let’s not forget the rising American Star in ITU, 2014 Oceanside Triathlon Champion, and Wildwood Crest native, Joey Maloy…he too has sat atop the podium. Joey is poised to make the US Olympic Team in 2016 and had the character as well as the talent to do very, very well. Heck, we’ve even had Iron Chef Champion Anthony Amoroso take part.
But, this really isn’t what makes Tri the Wildwoods a special triathlon in New Jersey. It’s something else. If we could describe it, we would…but we can’t. What we know is this New Jersey Triathlon is special because it’s athletes and their attitude toward the race. In short, NOTHING CAN STOP THEM; High Seas, Rain, Surf, Wind, Sand, nothing can stop them from conquering this event and, in fact, we all sort of look forward to what the weekend will bring.
Well, we have some new wrinkles to add to the mix.
Voted a Top 5 Best Beginner Triathlon and Top 5 Best Small Triathlon in the US!
New Additions to Tri the Wildwoods Triathlon in North Wildwood, NJ
Tri the Wildwoods: Ah, the flagship event of DelMoSports! What could possibly be different or new about the 12th annual event?
- The date: New in 2015, we’re moving to August 29, 2015. This is two weeks later in August, but in order to be the best possible
- Stephen and Jamie DelMonte 2009: Hurricane Bill Flooded the Food/Awards Tent. Someone gave me a wheel they found floating in transition.
- community partner, we needed to make this change.
- The race…in 2015 we’re introducing an International Distance Triathlon to coincide with our Sprint Distance Triathlon. “What does that mean?” It means we will have a .6 mile swim, 18.5 mile bike, and 5 mile run in addition to our .25 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 5k run! There is limited availability for the longer distance race so jump on this while you can!
- The Splash n Dash: New in 2015, expect to see three different styles of kid’s races for the Splash and Dash. Our first race will be for the Teeny Boppers…those little guys and girls (like my kid’s) 6 and Under who just want to get wet and run through the finish line. The second race will be for the Bigger Kids 7-10 who want to attempt his/her first race, but is unsure of what it would be like to enter water over their head. For this race, kid’s will be able to touch the bottom at all times, then run 1000 meters to the finish. Our last race is for the 11-15 year olds who are experienced swimmers…and I mean a club team swimmer. Each child that is registered by their parent will HAVE to place their child’s swim club name and 200 yard time in the entry form. These kids will be swimming in water over their heads, then running 1500 meters.
- PADDLE WW: All new in 2015, is our Friday Night Paddle WW race to take place at 15th and the beach (where our swim start is located). This will be a WPA Sanctioned event and have a classic beach start. Registration for ALL DelMoSports Paddle races take place on PaddleGuru.com
- Post Race Party: YES, in 2015, we’re returning to the North End American Grill for beers as well as hosting an a Kid’s After Party in association with Morey’s Piers! BIG STUFF TO COME!!!
- Tri the Wildwoods Legendary Afterparty at the North End American Grill in North Wildwood, NJ 2014
We now have a race for EVERYONE. This includes big kids, little kids, runners, paddlers, the average joe and the Pro. Tri the Wildwoods is more about inclusion than ever before. Additionally, we would be remiss if we didn’t mention Mrs. DelMo’s world famous Best Breakfast Buffet in Triathlon. Our free beaches, boardwalk, laid back atmosphere and always lively afterparty are what make Tri the Wildwoods one of best triathlons in New Jersey.